Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If I was in charge of Trench Wars 5-10 years ago...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LF View Post
    Where to start lol...

• "I'd get rid of all the idiots and power abusers by abusing my powers and getting rid of all the people I don't personally like" I wish this was feasible.
    • "I'd change the staff ranks by using the exact same ranks already in place and just change the names" ????
    • "I'd get the websites fixed" Great. Assuming all the same people from 10 years ago were still playing, who would have done it that we didn't already recruit to do just that? Are you better connected than the zone owners from 10 years ago?
    • "I'd have done a better job in advertising" You're failing to consider the human element. Who's gonna do everything? You? We had dozens of people working on this over the years. All more friendly and more knowledgeable in marketing than you.
    • "I'd fix pub" What makes your opinion on ship settings any more important than anyone else's opinion? Whether it be qan now, or Witness/Mootland Farmer/others in the past...We've been taking input from the population on what pub could/should be far longer than you've been playing subspace. People generally always get the changes they ask for within reason. Whether changes are made by consensus or unilaterally, there is ALWAYS a large group of VERY loud players against it. Make your suggestions in the current pub thread so they can be discussed. A large portion of them aren't even realistic/able to be performed by the client. Also...Bots can't "make usernames".
    • "I'd fix elim" It sat idle for too long I agree...but MS is doing good work with it these days.
    • "Have you ever wanted to play a BD in the center of the giant DD arena? Or a DD on the jav map" No.
    • "I'd have hired more people to spend all day every day hosting stuff!" We had plenty of these people already....ala Stargazer who hosted lots and lots (24 hour hostathons, levi elim to 500, etc) but was really really bad at it. A few other examples could be flibb, punk, Chao, pinkstar, myself, etc. There was certainly no shortage of event hosting 10 years ago. Also, guess who trained your lord and savior Dral? Hint: It starts with an L and ends with F.
    • "I'd turn EVERYTHING into a league!" Hockey (with decent settings) didn't even exist in the zone yet and everything else listed was already happening.
    • "Long live TW Radio!" While there were others who did it first (THE PUSHER, Pallies Radio in general) I was the first one to make it a zone function. I was the first one to broadcast TWL games with live commentary. Peoples taste in audio entertainment varies wildly. I did not/do not have the quick wit that PUSHER was gifted with but to this day my simultaneous hosting of radio and WW3 (With Left_Eye) as a weekend event holds the population record for HOSTED events in the zone (183 tuned into radio and the arena capped at 500 with people blowing up ?help cuz they couldnt get in) No matter what was played on the radio, SOMEONE would whine (Fuck skrillex I wanna listen to metallica! Fuck metallica wheres the power rangers theme?!? Power rangers are gay play some emo or Im not listening anymore, etc) As mentioned it just turned into small cliques where certain people could listen to a very specific genre that nobody else liked.

Conclusion:
    A vast majority of your suggestions are either A) not possible due to bot/client limitations, or B) Require significant and capable manpower which is not only NOT available now but has never been available. This zone has not always had very good leadership, but all of them commanded respect by making significant contributions and sacrifices for the zone in one way or another, which is something you've never been able to do. You let your personal bias interfere with your judgment at an uncomfortable rate which is sad because you do have a couple good ideas and you're not wrong about EVERYBODY on the current staff. 10 years may have passed in your hypothetical scenario of running the zone, but you're still the same annoying kid now as you were then. If you had ever been able to act like an adult for more than a few minutes at a time you could have had more of an impact on our zones future, then who knows where we might be today? For somebody who claims to want to "remove the power hungry staff", getting axed recently for abusing your powers and making an opening statement in this very thread of "I'd get rid of power abusers by abusing my powers" doesn't bode very well for what the zone COULD HAVE BEEN under your rule. I'm not a fan of everyone that has sat in the sysops seat, but I am counting my blessings that none of them were ever you.

Disclaimer: You may not like me and I don't care. While I have made my fair share of mistakes (Still don't regret banning Nethila), I have willingly volunteered countless hours of my own time (and money) for the attempted betterment of this zone, even though often times it feels like most don't deserve the effort. So as your blood begins to boil and your fingers type faster than your tiny slovakian brain can process in an attempt to tell me to "shut my muddafuking cunt", understand that I speak from a position of experience.
    Noone cares about you dude. Never has, never will. pc
    "Action is the real measure of intelligence. "
    Napoleon Hill

wiibimbo>I'm gonna take u out next week for a beer and pizza at Leonardo's...no homo tho! I prefer big boobs
    Dral>I can get implants

Comment

I still see some people really are brain-dead in this game as LF just showed us. Not only is he unable to comprehend the meaning of the titel "whaf it 5-10 years ago, not now", he is also the dick he was back then, banning and kicking all in his path who didn't want to suck his dick. Kinda reminds me of Henry lately, but meh.

Anyways, this was just a project I worked on for a long time to show how big my passion for the game was, how many good ideas I had over the years and how it could've gone a totally different way if I was in charge.

And yes LF, you would be the first to go were you on staff at that point. I'd ban you so hard even the species across the universe would've felt it. Now go back to your momma Jessup and suck on them titties.
      Napoleon Hill

wiibimbo>I'm gonna take u out next week for a beer and pizza at Leonardo's...no homo tho! I prefer big boobs
      Dral>I can get implants

Comment

Originally posted by Steep View Post
        Yo I found out your real name, add me on fb you perv
        for remembering mellow
        Oh no u didn't. U add me then. :P
        Napoleon Hill

Dral>I can get implants

Comment

Originally posted by mtine View Post
          as LF just showed us. Not only is he unable to comprehend the meaning of the titel "whaf it 5-10 years ago, not now",

Great. Assuming all the same people from 10 years ago were still playing...
          We had dozens of people working on this over the years....
          Whether it be qan now, or Witness/Mootland Farmer/others in the past...
          There was certainly no shortage of event hosting 10 years ago...
          10 years may have passed in your hypothetical scenario of running the zone...
          you could have had more of an impact on our zones future...
          doesn't bode very well for what the zone COULD HAVE BEEN under your rule...
          I am counting my blessings that none of them were ever you...
          I'm clearly the one here with comprehension issues. Don't forget your meds this morning.
          1:wbm> i squint when im angry

Originally posted by mtine
          Yo LF, u'll never get me. Trust me, SUCK MY CUNT U MADAFAKING IDIOT!!! Cum at me bro. God, ur even worse than some fags irl's history. commit suicide since u aren't even worth 5 penises. CAN'T TOUCH DIS!!! Jeez man. ALL UR MOFOS THAT U RULE IN THIS GAME SHUD RLY SEE HOW UGLY U R IRL AND HOW DUMB AS WELL. Oh, 1 last thing: CAN'T TOUCH THIS ASS.

Comment

What exactly is your problem? Just because you are retarded doesn't give you the right to come in here and trash my thread I worked on for quite some time because your e-bully feelings and ego got hurt in the process or a few years ago. Gtfo dude, seriously. You are neither amusing nor looking good here. Just quit while you are ahead, just as I did.
            Napoleon Hill

Dral>I can get implants

Comment

he read through all of your walls of text and gave you some pretty decent answers and feedback. man, what a dick.

1996 Minnesota State Pooping Champion

Comment

Useless crap
                TWDTJ & TWDTB FINALIST 2019

Comment

Originally posted by mtine View Post
                  Then you are writing in the wrong thread. Besides, nobody gives a shit about today's TW, at least not the smart people. And I have joined them by fulfilling the project above.
                  So basically you write multi post walls of text about how TW should've worked, but you don't give a shit about TW and don't think anyone should either.

Makes complete sense.

Comment

I actually am hesitant to respond to this because you clearly put a good amount of time into writing it all. But what vindication are you looking for here? That the 30 people who read the forums are somehow in their seats in awe thinking 'Holy shit... wiibimbo had the answers this entire time..." This is cringey as fuck. Much appreciation to LF for summarizing just how badly you missed.

But you're not alone. People like you have always spoken up with monday morning quarterback, simple minded, consequentialist nonsense like this. Here's what you did: Rewind 5 (roughly 5-10..) years while the game is already on its' last legs. Reflect on every good aspect of the game that saw a decline. List every league that was once a success and fell apart. List everything being rebooted now and claim you would have fixed it earlier. Predictably, you forgot to mix in a declining and aging playerbase, redundant content, lack of qualified volunteers, and lack of resources into your calculus. The result was an air ball. An impressive magnum opus on how to spend 15 years playing a video game and somehow not find a clue.

Cool man, I would have killed Constantine before he made Christianity legal to help preserve Rome's Empire. Abe Lincoln? I would have had better security at Ford's theater. This type of shit requires 0 talent to come up with, which is why it's actually not shocking that you of all people did come up with it.

That's it for the personal attacks. It's just annoying to people like me, claushouse, turban, and LF who actually had to tackle these things as the game inevitably declined in the 2010's. When I see LF on the forums flagging every other post as ridiculous nonsense on here, I get it. I've worked with him, he's a smart dude. In our time, we actually had to be creative and survey the state of the game and then make real-time projections on what would work. We understood player motivations. We actually recognized what generates interest, which incentives were going to promote activity and participation, which league formats were feasible with the population, and which players we needed most to buy in so others would follow. We then had to execute our ideas with depleted resources. But most importantly, we navigated through all of it in real-time. You did not.

You can't just throw stickers and medals on the twd page and expect the masses to get interested. Leagues need a culture and a competitive credibility, from the league ops to the players. There's no objective reason why TWL was recognized and sought after as the highest achievement in the game. That was all vernacular, a fiction we all bought into. The quality and weight of those pixels are measured by the collective community. After Fierce and Sweet retired, the TWLD medal was inherently less meaningful and the lack of interest that immediately followed was predictable. The prize of winning any league that Ease doesn't participate in is immediately cheapened. His presence alone has a value that no league or poorly thought out structure is capable of buying back.

Lack of understanding player motivation can be found everywhere on the forum. It's laughable when I read people still arguing whether elim should be split into 2 arenas. We ran that experiment when the population averaged 350 people. It doesn't work. Why do you think that is? It's the same reason why we're all guilty of logging on and immediately going to the most populated arena. It's the same reason I logoff after 5 seconds if not enough familiar names are in ?chat. Culture and a sense of community are what made this game worth logging into day after day, year after year. The content could never have done the job by itself. And despite the deluded book you wrote here, neither could you.
                    PattheBat> steadman your name is literally "a mean std"
                    ogron> CM,OPN NMKAN

Comment

gtfo
                      Leland

Comment

It's wiibimbo the fucking visionary.
                        Trench Wars Player

“To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all.” ― Oscar Wilde

Comment

Originally posted by Mythril View Post
                          I actually am hesitant to respond to this because you clearly put a good amount of time into writing it all. But what vindication are you looking for here? That the 30 people who read the forums are somehow in their seats in awe thinking 'Holy shit... wiibimbo had the answers this entire time..." This is cringey as fuck. Much appreciation to LF for summarizing just how badly you missed.

But you're not alone. People like you have always spoken up with monday morning quarterback, simple minded, consequentialist nonsense like this. Here's what you did: Rewind 5 (roughly 5-10..) years while the game is already on its' last legs. Reflect on every good aspect of the game that saw a decline. List every league that was once a success and fell apart. List everything being rebooted now and claim you would have fixed it earlier. Predictably, you forgot to mix in a declining and aging playerbase, redundant content, lack of qualified volunteers, and lack of resources into your calculus. The result was an air ball. An impressive magnum opus on how to spend 15 years playing a video game and somehow not find a clue.

Cool man, I would have killed Constantine before he made Christianity legal to help preserve Rome's Empire. Abe Lincoln? I would have had better security at Ford's theater. This type of shit requires 0 talent to come up with, which is why it's actually not shocking that you of all people did come up with it.

That's it for the personal attacks. It's just annoying to people like me, claushouse, turban, and LF who actually had to tackle these things as the game inevitably declined in the 2010's. When I see LF on the forums flagging every other post as ridiculous nonsense on here, I get it. I've worked with him, he's a smart dude. In our time, we actually had to be creative and survey the state of the game and then make real-time projections on what would work. We understood player motivations. We actually recognized what generates interest, which incentives were going to promote activity and participation, which league formats were feasible with the population, and which players we needed most to buy in so others would follow. We then had to execute our ideas with depleted resources. But most importantly, we navigated through all of it in real-time. You did not.

You can't just throw stickers and medals on the twd page and expect the masses to get interested. Leagues need a culture and a competitive credibility, from the league ops to the players. There's no objective reason why TWL was recognized and sought after as the highest achievement in the game. That was all vernacular, a fiction we all bought into. The quality and weight of those pixels are measured by the collective community. After Fierce and Sweet retired, the TWLD medal was inherently less meaningful and the lack of interest that immediately followed was predictable. The prize of winning any league that Ease doesn't participate in is immediately cheapened. His presence alone has a value that no league or poorly thought out structure is capable of buying back.

Lack of understanding player motivation can be found everywhere on the forum. It's laughable when I read people still arguing whether elim should be split into 2 arenas. We ran that experiment when the population averaged 350 people. It doesn't work. Why do you think that is? It's the same reason why we're all guilty of logging on and immediately going to the most populated arena. It's the same reason I logoff after 5 seconds if not enough familiar names are in ?chat. Culture and a sense of community are what made this game worth logging into day after day, year after year. The content could never have done the job by itself. And despite the deluded book you wrote here, neither could you.
                          So basically what you are saying that people like me are not allowed to talk about what would've happen if they were in charge of the game just because they are not seen worthy in your or LF's eyes? Good riddance, Sir.
                          Napoleon Hill

Dral>I can get implants

Comment

The game just needs a revamp. I mean, look at it...it screams 1998. I already know people are working on a new engine with new graphics. Although i haven't seen any updates. You want this game to appeal to new players? Update the damn game. What's the first thing new players see before they even log in? How the game looks. Also, obviously people are going to quit if it is the same shit. Same graphics, same concepts, same thing..over and over again. Just a decrease in population each year. Hell, I rarely log in any more. Not because I don't love the game, but because it doesn't appeal to me like it used to. Same shit. Draft tourny, Elim....um okay. Same thing. Update the game. Make it look more up to date, implement new controls possibly, a new UI, better ways to do commands. Instead of typing (?go base), have a UI option for it so it is easier for new players to navigate. Lots of ideas can come out of this great game. Obviously all of this is easier said than done, but good games aren't developed in one day either. Fact of the matter is, there is just better shit to play nowadays.
                            4:cripple> everyone DOWNLOAD my cheat engine it removes .5 sec off ur respawn and adds a 3rd into regen energy link is here: www.pornhub.com/man.kills.fly.during.anal.html

Comment

words, words, words. text text text.
                              4:BigKing> xD
                              4:Best> i'm leaving chat
                              4:BigKing> what did i do???
                              4:Best> told you repeatedly you cannot use that emoji anymore
                              4:BigKing> ???? why though
                              4:Best> you're 6'4 and black...you can't use emojis like that
                              4:BigKing> xD

Comment

I stopped reading when you talked about "reorganizing" staff by using the exact same positions that have been around for years. That was my favorite part of this thread.

Hi LF
                                JAMAL> didn't think there was a worse shark than midoent but the_paul takes it

turban> claus is the type of person that would eat shit just so you would have to smell his breath

Originally posted by Ilya;n1135707
                                the_paul: the worst guy, needs to go back to school, bad at his job, guido

Comment

Working...
                                X