No announcement yet.

Official Warning: Steadman

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think people should ease up on Henry a bit, I've lambasted him before but it's unfair to expect every league op to do everything. That multiple people have stepped up to run TWDT, create content, write Hot or Nots, etc. is great. The division of labor seems to be working.

As for coding vs. running leagues, seems like a distraction. Off the top of my head, I'd say coding is more valuable, but I guess it depends on what area of the game you're talking about. TWDT has had zero coding going on since 2013 -- it's all done on the forums by hand. The league was run into the ground by bad management, not coding.

TSL, on the otherhand, couldn't run without coding. I did Season 1 manually on an Excel sheet and it was completely unsustainable for a human to do. Qan and Rab's work was essential for future seasons to work.

Coding is probably more important at the most core level of making sure the game still functions and isn't totally broken, but they're both essential to the success of the game.

And if we're going to bring up what coding can do for the game, how about friggin' flag jupes. It's been 20 years and that shit still hasn't been taken care of :sleep:

If Qan ever fixes flag juping, I'll give him one of my kidneys.
    top 100 basers list

Comment

Agreed about the importance of both league planning and dev. Hard to compare. It's apples to oranges, really. You need a heart and a brain to survive; TW won't live without leagues or dev. Technically it could even live without coders at this point (just means no new features and things would occasionally break), but without leagues planning it'd tank quite quickly and just become pub, and then empty. Which is what has happened to many zones.

As for flag jupes ... Client problem unfortunately. It's definitely kinda maddening, especially having gone on this long. Would be amazing if we could still modify the client and server. Maybe the ASSS guys have worked out some way to handle it.

Basically the issue is that the bot doesn't get one of the Flag Claimed packets, so it thinks the other team has it.

Just did some research, and there are a few settings we might be able to play with to keep it from happening. Latency:CutbackWatermark cuts off data of "non-critical" packets when a certain limit is reached. I don't know if flag claims are considered non-critical, but if they are, this might be one cause. We can use *bandwidth to set this limit higher for individual players/bots, as well as *lowbandwidth to double packets sent, making sure they all arrive. (Can also use this for people with high packetloss in order to reduce it a bit.)

Oh, or we might just have to increase CutbackWatermark for everyone, because the issue is also when players don't get the packet but the bot does. Basically someone loses a packet and there's a difference between what the bot thinks happened and what players' clients see. I can't remember offhand, when it gets juped do all players always see the flag belonging to the same team? Or are there differences? Knowing the answer to that with certainty would go a long way toward explaining what's happening.

Anyway, I'll try poking around a little and see if it helps at all, or just screws something else up, heh...
      "You're a gentleman," they used to say to him. "You shouldn't have gone murdering people with a hatchet; that's no occupation for a gentleman."
      -Dostoevsky's Crime and Punishment

Comment

I have been witnessed of what I call a sabotage during Power vs. Nasty in dt-d. I came to watch old legend Lews playing with the best there ever will be, Ease. I was lock on Lews when something surprising happened early in the game, I saw "thix killed by : Ease". I was wondering what the fuck thix was doing here?! Then I remembered that captain RaCka was absent. Trasher was in charge of Nasty that day, I suspect him to have deliberately made lose his team because he didn't want to be captain. If it was just a dd it would have been just a funny joke but it was twdt and eventually it could jeopardize Nasty's chances to qualify. I request that investigations be made.

Comment

Working...
        X