Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Proposed ratings changes

Paradise can be easily replaced with Spikey for anything. Say the word
    1:waven> u challenge
    1:waven> if i challenge it looks too scary

Quote Originally Posted by MHz View Post
    Hope you contract ebola from your, no doubt cheap, Easter Egg, you fucking shit-jav, pug-faced cunt.

One problem I have with ratings is that is was closed to the public. If you are going to rate, you need to do it publicly as there is a level of biased, sometimes very small, that can affect things and peoples rating and play time. Show the people doing the ratings and their list

Hope you contract ebola from your, no doubt cheap, Easter Egg, you fucking shit-jav, pug-faced cunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Rab View Post
    The idea doesn't work. Ratings adjustments could leave a team unable to field a valid lineup (requiring borrowing). There has to be a guarantee to captains that the star rating at draft time is fixed.

I think this thread is sufficient for improving ratings for next season, people are contributing good suggestions.
    Perhaps you are right. At the same time the invalid lineup issue can be fixed if we wanted:

Say in wb/jav only have the requirement to field a team not exceeding total star value of 40* at time of game.

A game of (4x 10-stars) vs (4x 7-stars + 2x 6-stars) could be a thing in theory.

EDIT: On a more realistic note, agree with Tiny. Ratings process should be public as much as possible, no good reason not to.
    Last edited by skyforger; 09-11-2018 at 10:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by skyforger View Post
    Perhaps you are right. At the same time the invalid lineup issue can be fixed if we wanted:

Say in wb/jav only have the requirement to field a team not exceeding total star value of 40* at time of game.

A game of (4x 10-stars) vs (4x 7-stars + 2x 6-stars) could be a thing in theory.
    This idea could be somewhat interesting but using 1-10 ratings, with still 5v5 but a *cap, which would need some pros to determine, but imo we better keep what we have, I find our system good and all it need as Tiny said is public dialog for ratings, and fix one week before the draft for captaining purpose mostly.
    Trasher> lol hellrazor

Major Crisis/Ownix Major Crisis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiny View Post
    One problem I have with ratings is that is was closed to the public. If you are going to rate, you need to do it publicly as there is a level of biased, sometimes very small, that can affect things and peoples rating and play time. Show the people doing the ratings and their list
    The ratings were published days before the draft and no one commented really on how bad/good it was. And yea, there have been biased ratings for sure. It fucked people their chances of play time. I assume you are partly talking about yourself being 7 in both wb and base. As a 6 star you would have been heavily underrated and you know that as well as I do. You can terr good enough to be a 7, if you were put at a 6, your team could get so much more spider/shark power if you compare it to other teams, its sick. Best example for that is how Heaven and I won TWDTB back in the days, Heaven was a 6 terr in that day.. And I was a 7, we both won it because our spids had more power. Thats the same reason why in my opinion Beam and glyde should have been a 7 in base as well, just because they can shark properly enough.
    Like you said, its always an opinion anyway.

Zid, mythril and I basicly did the ratings of the main draft on the captain chat. The actual coordinator of this league (hi Henry) didnt setup a thing or whatever. In my eyes it was Henry's job to gather some vets together and let them make a list. For example you, zidane, commodo and steadman could all rate the people on their javskills. Thats how I did it when I ran my TWDT season in 2011. What I am saying is that without coordination you cant expect people to randomly deliver you a list with ratings or w/e. When it comes to signups, the drafts and ratings this is a poor run edition. Just reminds me of the other season Vys and Henry ran the TWDT. FA ratings werent even properly done. And yea.. I dont think it was ideality that the captains did the ratings, because you have those poor underrated guys within them. The only imput Henry had on the ratings was "DONT MAKE TOO MANY 8S IN BASE, I NEED PLAYTIME". The guy forced us to limit the 8s in base, hence why people like Tripin and Steadman are only a 7. But the guy allowed to have 28!!! 28!!!!!! 8s in warbird, while there are the same amount of spots in both leagues for the 8s, but in base you have a bigger chance of playing since more top spots.

What I am trying to say, is that if you want a proper next TWDT season with 'good' ratings, Henry Saari and this whole 'league team' shouldnt be involved with it. The only part they really took care of was starting the bots. You cant even tell them a good job with getting the hosts etc. Often it was myself that said on captains chat that scoreboxes were missing. The only staffer I think did a good job, was/is Wirah. The way he created the site really has some additition to next season, especially if Qan can make scoreboxes upload to there.

Something else I wanna say. People suddenly want Babe Ruth to be higher in wb/jav. Last season he played some with me on Blind and he was a total 'failure'. Remember that he is with a team that carries his ass hard. When a team wins average 50-30 a 6 star doesnt often fall out. When it comes to changing ratings you have to keep in mind how a player would have done on another team.
    Major Crisis

What I am trying to say, is that if you want a proper next TWDT season with 'good' ratings, Henry Saari and this whole 'league team' shouldnt be involved with it. The only part they really took care of was starting the bots. You cant even tell them a good job with getting the hosts etc. Often it was myself that said on captains chat that scoreboxes were missing. The only staffer I think did a good job, was/is Wirah. The way he created the site really has some additition to next season, especially if Qan can make scoreboxes upload to there.
    r we hosting TWDT 2018 winter szn together?
    8:beam> yo tiny i have some good news for u
    8:Tiny> U COMING SUNDAY BRO?
    8:beam> i wont be here sunday but you could save on your car insurance by switching to geico

Question before you guys adjust ratings. I never participated this TWDT season but I did think of it the other day. Should we assign ratings on a "zero sum" system? For every upgrade, there should be a downgrade? There should only be X number of 10 stars, 9 stars, 8 stars, etc.
    ♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫
    Failure teaches success.

zeebu 'DUMPTRUCK' johnson Zeebu's Avatar
    make ratings go from 6-10 (or whatever makes sense) and then add a total star cap to lines instead of star 'slots'

find the per game star cap on a per league basis using math. using the 6-10 rating system we have now it would be something like a 7.5-8* per slot. fracture the current ratings into decimals and then this could work.

i also think that a slightly different rating system that isnt arbitrarily set from 6-10 would work out better too.

1996 Minnesota State Pooping Champion

yeah other folks said that already, oops

Major Crisis/Ownix Major Crisis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeebu View Post
    make ratings go from 6-10 (or whatever makes sense) and then add a total star cap to lines instead of star 'slots'

find the per game star cap on a per league basis using math. using the 6-10 rating system we have now it would be something like a 7.5-8* per slot. fracture the current ratings into decimals and then this could work.

i also think that a slightly different rating system that isnt arbitrarily set from 6-10 would work out better too.
    We have had that total star cap in the past. It didnt work out at all. It caused too much chaos. Especially now since there arent hosts left who actually check lineups etc.
    Major Crisis

we had that for an entire roster* if i recall, not on a per line basis

edit:

free agency was a total cluster. caps dropped folks that they were never going to play and then bid like 20 on folks that were good.

I don't think raising mediocre players to 7's and jamming playtime for 7 stars is the answer. I strongly feel my 6 star rating is appropriate in javs. I feel I should be lowered to a 6 in base and lowered to 7 in warbird too. Most of these changes is doing one thing. Assuring mediocre players like myself they will have zero chance to play next twdt. I have no TWL medals and my history in twdt is fairly vacant. 6 stars should not be judged so harshly. We have a pool of players who are active and we should determine who falls where within that contingent.
    TSL TRIPLE CROWN FINALIST 2018
    TSLD CHAMPION 2018
    TSLB CHAMPION 2018

The whole system is rather flawed as is. There is no good reason why Hellrazor or someone from Steam should be same static 6-star rating as the less successful vets.

I hope skyforger never has any input on ratings because according to him our only 6 star player will be hellrazor. Man is mentioning steam players as if we have any or as if dt rules are preventing steam players from enjoying tw. Delusional stuff...

I agree with Kim said it's about balance. We actually tried to balance everything out but apparently did a poor job on 8* wb which I wasn't aware of until major said it now

Quote Originally Posted by zidane View Post
    I hope skyforger never has any input on ratings because according to him our only 6 star player will be hellrazor. Man is mentioning steam players as if we have any or as if dt rules are preventing steam players from enjoying tw. Delusional stuff...

I agree with Kim said it's about balance. We actually tried to balance everything out but apparently did a poor job on 8* wb which I wasn't aware of until major said it now
    You are so ignorant. If you read another thread very next to this one, Unlimited for example shares his and his friends experience being new EG expats trying to transition to TW leagues. There's more valuable players or rather -nobodies- to you I've heard similar sentiment from. But ya, let's keep being selfish assholes.

I have no issue having my ratings dropped because I just don't play anymore and doubtful I'll ever bother getting active again (I haven't been remotely active for 3+ years any way).
    TWL-J Season 11 Champion
    TWL-J Season 21 Champion
    TWL-B Season 21 Champion
    TWDT-D 2017 Champion
    TWDT-J 2017 Champion

there isnt nearly enough differentiation between players. as you get to 9s and 10s it doesnt matter at all. the variability of skill between the 6 and 7 guys is hilariously huge. especially since assigning ratings is totally subjective and mid range folks constantly petition themselves to be as low as possible.

Paradise should be changed to 2/3/7
    7:Amnesti <TW>> racka is nestled in Candlekeep. hes nestled atop the cliffs that rise from the sword-coast.
    1:Sika> "ezor" is #1
    Captain of the only squad to ever go undefeated in a whole TWL season while winning every game 4vs5 (Quicksand)
    TWLD Season 14 Champion (Fierce)
    TWL Triple Crown Season 20 Champion (Burn)

Quote Originally Posted by Zeebu View Post
    there isnt nearly enough differentiation between players. as you get to 9s and 10s it doesnt matter at all. the variability of skill between the 6 and 7 guys is hilariously huge. especially since assigning ratings is totally subjective and mid range folks constantly petition themselves to be as low as possible.
    Yup, that's what I was trying to say with the system being flawed. There is only 4 brackets but playerbase skill varies wayyy more. The lower you go the larger the difference between players within one category and the more crowded it gets for one meager starter spot.

Of course just bumping up every TW vet out of 6-stars isn't a solution either, there are some outlier vets that still are true 6s and it would make the problem worse at now 7s being too crowded. Some solutions would be to add more brackets and reconsider how star cap works, make a limit for whole starting lineup not individual player stars. And/or some kind of cooloff mechanism that incentives teams to eventually use as much of their drafted players as possible.

I just thought of something that proves my point beyond any other argument I could have made. Zidane was a part of the group that did the ratings, and it wasn't made public and there was not a large council of people doing the ratings. The guy has collected the most broken rated players. Coincidence? Probably not, I still am bros with the guy, but you can see an obvious loophole/advantage to capping and doing ratings without a large public consent. Or maybe he just knows all????? who could say?