Man one step closer to God?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kthx View Post
    Now as far other ways that scientifically advanced cultures have destroyed themselves is by becoming too secure in their technology over more real world things. Athens became a theological state more than a state of war, and because of this they had children growing up wanting to be poets, senators, artists, sculptors and engineers over growing up wanting to be soldiers and blacksmiths. I would argue that liberalism is doing the same thing in America as we speak, we are all so foolish that we think countries like China and Russia will never attack us, so we go on our way wanting to be rock stars, and sports stars, we want to be politicians, but we have a lack of people who are actually willing to fight even today in America. So based on that I would conclude that not even America will last forever, because eventually we will be attacked by a Spartan culture who has constantly been preparing and readying for war, while our attention is divided to other occupations and paths in life.

--

Yeah and I know that isn't exactly what you meant either, and you are right no country has destroyed itself using the technology that it invented for itself, but it has been a factor in the destruction of several civilizations.
    Isn't that something any civilization should want for? Divisions of labor but also self-determination for their people. Even without the American military industrial complex, which has remained intact since World War 2, the US would be in the best position politically and geographically to prosper given its position on the North American continent. I'm not saying the United States or even Western civilization will last but I don't think our reliance on technology or progressive social liberties will be our down fall. The world economy if not mutually assured destruction (while not at the tipping point) keeps Russia and China in check, short of the former not producing enough for their people I don't think either Russia, China or even the US would risk another world war.

I don't know if anyone has read the book Calculating God but its author puts forward an idea that as civilizations progress technologically the closer a smaller part of it has the potential to destroy the greater whole. Alien civizilations have to hit the "sweet spot" long enough to force their population to "mind upload" their conciseness to a simulated reality to avoid a disaster.

Originally posted by Squeezer View Post
    It occured to me a few years back that humanity will go extinct before we can invent time travel, because otherwise someone would have come back and warned us about the fact that we would go extinct. Since no one except Ahnold has travelled back in time, it's safe to assume that it will never happen.

That thought made me sad.
    I think most physicists believe if time travel into the past were to occur then it would create another universe distinct from our own with its own history at the point of divergence (assuming the multiverse theories are correct).
    Last edited by Kolar; 01-13-2009, 09:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Squeezer View Post
      It occured to me a few years back that humanity will go extinct before we can invent time travel, because otherwise someone would have come back and warned us about the fact that we would go extinct. Since no one except Ahnold has travelled back in time, it's safe to assume that it will never happen.

That thought made me sad.
      governator strikes again.
      4:BigKing> xD
      4:Best> i'm leaving chat
      4:BigKing> what did i do???
      4:Best> told you repeatedly you cannot use that emoji anymore
      4:BigKing> ???? why though
      4:Best> you're 6'4 and black...you can't use emojis like that
      4:BigKing> xD

Comment

I guess all that money spent on the military will be a waste then according to wark
        sigpic
        All good things must come to an end.

Comment

Originally posted by Nycle View Post
          No idea what the underlying science is about, but I wouldn't be shocked or surprised to see a Dodo walking around in my lifetime.
          The RNA world hypothesis proposes that a world filled with life based on ribonucleic acid (RNA) predated current life based on deoxyribonucleic acid (DNA). RNA, which can both store information like DNA and act as an enzyme, may have supported cellular or pre-cellular life. Some hypotheses as to the origin of life present RNA-based catalysis and information storage as the first step in the evolution of cellular life.

The RNA world is proposed to have evolved into the DNA and protein world of today. DNA, through its greater chemical stability, took over the role of data storage while protein, which is more flexible in catalysis through the great variety of amino acids, became the specialized catalytic molecules. The RNA world hypothesis suggests that RNA in modern cells, in particular rRNA (RNA in the ribosome which catalyzes protein production), is the evolutionary remnant of the RNA world.
          The RNA World hypothesis is supported by RNA's ability to store, transmit, and duplicate genetic information, as DNA does. RNA can also act as a ribozyme, a special type of enzyme. Because it can reproduce on its own, performing the tasks of both DNA and proteins (enzymes), RNA is believed to have once been capable of independent life. Further, while nucleotides were not found in Miller-Urey's origins of life experiments, they were found by others' simulations[citation needed]; the pyrimidine base known as adenine is merely a pentamer of hydrogen cyanide. Experiments with basic ribozymes, like the viral RNA Qβ, have shown that simple self-replicating RNA structures can withstand even strong selective pressures (e.g., opposite-chirality chain terminators).

Additionally, in the past a given RNA molecule might have survived longer than it can today. Ultraviolet light can cause RNA to polymerize while at the same time breaking down other types of organic molecules that could have the potential of catalyzing the break down of RNA (called ribonucleases), suggesting that RNA may have been a relatively common substance on early Earth. This aspect of the theory is still untested and is based on a constant concentration of sugar-phosphate molecules.
          Thats the basics of the RNA world hypothesis/theory. Essentially it claims that RNA was center stage at the formation of life for various reasons and based on various supports. As for further proof about the RNA mutating into DNA, in the experiments mutations did occur when strands of RNA came into contact with eachother. If this theory is true, the creation of the indefinitely replicating RNA is an enormous step towards creating our own life. If it's a load of shit, this is still a very amazing step in a positive direction but it doesn't necessarily mean we are too close to creating life. Either way it is a big fucking deal.

As for kthx....alexander was greek not roman....i don't believe a society has ever destroyed itself from technological advancement, maybe they were destroyed from its implications or the enormous ego they gained from it, but never the technology itself. Although the grounds onto which some of modern science is treading is beginning to look a bit dubious for me.

Edit: I just snagged those explanations from wikipedia, I have read a couple of articles on RNA world theory...its interesting stuff if you have the time.
          TWDT Head Op Seasons 2, 3, and 4
          TWL Season 14 & 17 Head Op
          Season 13 TWLD Champion, Seasons 13 & 14 LJ Champion

Winston Churchill: "That is the sort of nonsense up with which we will not put!"

Those who dare to fail miserably can achieve greatly.
          - John F. Kennedy

A sadist is a masochist who follows the Golden Rule.
          Originally posted by kthx
          Umm.. Alexander the Great was the leader of the Roman empire, not the Greek empire guy.

Comment

Umm.. Alexander the Great was the leader of the Greek empire, not the Roman empire guy.
            Last edited by kthx; 01-14-2009, 12:40 AM.
            Rabble Rabble Rabble

Comment

Umm.. Alexander the Great was the leader of the Roman empire, not the Greek empire guy.
              quote of a lifetime LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL!!!!!!!

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

are you serious?

Winston Churchill: "That is the sort of nonsense up with which we will not put!"

- John F. Kennedy

Comment

Posting in future Epic Thread.
                SEE THAT'S WHAT'S WRONG WIT YOU WHITE MUHFUCKAS, YA'LL ALWAYS TRYNA -FORCE A MOTHAFUCKA TO DO SOMETHIN- YA'LL ALWAYS TRYNA FORCE A MUHFUCKA TO SEE SHIT YOUR WAY.
                AND IT BACKFIYAHS. EVERY. FUCKIN. TIME.

o// REVERE ILYAZ, JASON & GRAN \\o

Comment

in before hilarity.
                  Originally posted by Tone
                  It is now time for the energy shift of the 7th root race to manifest on the 3D physical plane and uplift us back to 5D.
                  Originally posted by the_paul
                  Gargle battery acid fuckface
                  Originally posted by Material Girl
                  I tried downloading a soundcard

Comment

Nice fake quotes. (lol)
                    Rabble Rabble Rabble

Comment

Nice fake quotes. (lol)
                      props for the attempted save, but i got your ass and its still above in your other post.

- John F. Kennedy

Comment

Anyways if you guys are done making fake quotes lets get back on track to what this thread is really about. Liberalism is destroying the safety of America by slowly eating away at the mentality of the youth. Look at Ignite, he pays people to play for his subspace squad, instead of buying war bonds.
                        Rabble Rabble Rabble

Comment

Originally posted by Summa View Post
                          props for the attempted save, but i got your ass and its still above in your other post.
                          You didn't even join the forums till December of 03, nobody cares what you say newbie.
                          Rabble Rabble Rabble

Comment

F5F5F5F5F5
                            SEE THAT'S WHAT'S WRONG WIT YOU WHITE MUHFUCKAS, YA'LL ALWAYS TRYNA -FORCE A MOTHAFUCKA TO DO SOMETHIN- YA'LL ALWAYS TRYNA FORCE A MUHFUCKA TO SEE SHIT YOUR WAY.
                            AND IT BACKFIYAHS. EVERY. FUCKIN. TIME.

o// REVERE ILYAZ, JASON & GRAN \\o

Comment

Originally posted by PH View Post
                              in before hilarity.
                              hillary
                              sigpic
                              All good things must come to an end.

Comment

You didn't even join the forums till December of 03, nobody cares what you say newbie.
                                I'm sorry I am trying to have a discussion about advanced science theory and advanced scientific developments that probably blow your fucking mind, while you are in the corner screaming about how Alexander the Great was Roman. Maybe you should just leave this thread since you made it blatantly apparent that you have no grasp on simple historical facts let alone advanced scientific developments. Then maybe....maybe you can walk away with a shred of dignity.
                                Last edited by Summa; 01-14-2009, 12:56 AM.

- John F. Kennedy

Comment

Working...
                                X