Dying on the flag might lose you a game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dying on the flag might lose you a game

There is this weird thing that some people might not have noticed. I myself had to learn it by losing a TWL match by 200 points, where we would have won otherwise.
    When you are running towards the flag to get it, but you die close to it. Escpecially when the flag is mined and you ram those mines. You sometimes will hit is as sort of a ghost. The flag will turn yellow, but it won't change sides.
    So the flag seems to be yours, but the enemy keeps getting all the points.
    I believe the server checks/refreshes the flagstatus at certain intervals, and when it does check it will change the colour back to blue. Only then you can claim the flag.
    Just want to warn you, to look out for those moments. They aren't as rare as I thought. If you see someone die before the flag and it still turns yellow, keep an eye on it, it will change back to blue.
    You ate some priest porridge

Just to clarify on the worst case scenario, ie: what happened last TWL-B in Cami vs Diso. Ordinarily, if someone dies on the flag, and everyone else sees it as a flag touch, that person will see the flag as untouched, if however, someone else who sees the lagtouch, touches the flag whiilst the suicider is still waiting to respawn, the flag becomes completely juped for that team. The server sends out periodic messages saying who holds the flag, so if it's juped, it could be several minutes before you have any opportunity to reclaim it.

This kinda becomes important with the introduction of flag time matches in ?go base, since the bot is counting flag time, not the server (as would happen normally in a points match), and if the flag gets juped, the bot may also get out of sync, of course this assumes that the bot gets its flag status from the players and not the server itself.

For historical significance, it was Greven who died on the flag, and Madmaster who completed the jupe.

Cheers,

leroy.

Comment

Yeah...

That was a crazy match. Everyone was like, what the...Cami just had flag and now it turned back to Diso.
      I came, I saw, I lagged out... :rolleyes:

Comment

A few days ago in ?go base, my team would have the flag, and be getting points, etc. Then out of the blue, the flag would just magically go to the other team. It happened 3x, and I am positive that no one on the other team touched it, and I am sure we were getting 200 per kill and suddenly it just stopped and went to the other team.

I dunno if this is the same thing, but it was really pissing me off and I was starting to wonder if someone was fucking with it.
        sdg

Comment

Yeah it's fixed baby

Originally posted by Stabwound
          A few days ago in ?go base, my team would have the flag, and be getting points, etc. Then out of the blue, the flag would just magically go to the other team. It happened 3x, and I am positive that no one on the other team touched it, and I am sure we were getting 200 per kill and suddenly it just stopped and went to the other team.

I dunno if this is the same thing, but it was really pissing me off and I was starting to wonder if someone was fucking with it.
          When I was watching the cami vrs diso match I thought the same thing. That the ref must have been on the Diso payroll or something. B/c it looked like there was no real reason for the flag to jsut magically change back to other squad except that someone with powers was messing with the flag.

Is there anyway to fix that bug? Or due to the ghost lag, or however you want to describe it, that will always be part of the game?

Or just don't have a close match where the game is decided in the heat of a close FR battle where the flag is being traded back and forth.
          I came, I saw, I lagged out... :rolleyes:

Comment

There is no way for anyone to fuck with the ownership of the flag that would favor one team over another. Someone with powers could do a *flagreset, but that wouldn't pass posession of the flag to one freq in particular. It's something to do with lag. One thing I've noticed recently is that the flag literally disappears for extended periods of time. I simply can't see it at all, even with a whole team swarming around it or on top of it. I don't know what's up, but something strange is going on for sure.
            Last edited by Jason; 03-25-2004, 02:13 PM.
            jasonofabitch loves!!!!

Comment

Well the first two post kind of explain it, the reason that I started this thread is because I noticed it happens much more than I thought it would.

Comment

I got this button on my keyboard...
                http://disoblige.be-damned.com/OLD%20WEBSITE/

Comment

You wish it was your doing!

Comment

Originally posted by Jason
                    One thing I've noticed recently is that the flag literally disappears for extended periods of time. I simply can't see it at all, even with a whole team swarming around it or on top of it. I don't know what's up, but something strange is going on for sure.
                    This happens to me as well. Maybe it is a bug in continuum? I have no clue. Thoughts?
                    5:royst> i was junior athlete of the year in my school! then i got a girlfriend
                    5:the_paul> calculus is not a girlfriend
                    5:royst> i wish it was calculus

1:royst> did you all gangbang my gf or something

1:fermata> why dont you get money fuck bitches instead

Comment

I think it's either a bug in 0.39pr1 or it has something to do with a particularly clogged up router close to the server. I've never noticed this phenomenon in all my years of SS until recently, and lag has been especially noticeable lately. So... take your pick. :]
                      jasonofabitch loves!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Jason
                        I think it's either a bug in 0.39pr1 or it has something to do with a particularly clogged up router close to the server. I've never noticed this phenomenon in all my years of SS until recently, and lag has been especially noticeable lately. So... take your pick. :]

That's been around since the beginning of subspace. Newbie.

If you've never seen it before, I guess you've just been lucky all these years.

Comment

Sure I've seen the flag disappear for a split second before (in effect, flashing), but lately it disappears for extended periods of time, as I said already. I really don't know what your deal is Sleepy, but lay off me. This is at least the fourth of fifth post of mine in a row that you've had a go at me for in recent weeks.
                          jasonofabitch loves!!!!

Comment

1. That was a joke.

2. I've been on spring break for a week so I doubt I"ve been harassing you on the forum lately.

3. And yes I'm talking about extended time, around 2 minutes is normally how long it's gone for me when it does that. Which I guess corresponds to the flag being reset.

Comment

Would it kill you to use a smiley? I know they're pretty gay, but sans smiley, ending a statement with "Newbie." doesn't give me any insight into to whether or not you were joking. It's toneless, emotionless text, dude!
                              jasonofabitch loves!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X