Spider Tactics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spider Tactics

This is a compilation of strategy posts I did for RB, but seeing that twl is almost over it is okay to post them now on tw's community forums seeing hwo they will not affect RB's chances in lb at this point. All put together, this is a very long read, but those from my squad that have read it told me it helped them a lot. So if your in a new squad, or just want to play better in ?go base, then this would probably help if you are able to read the whole thing.

Basic spider combat skills: Conserve energy, fire only when pretty sure it will hit, and fire in bursts of 2 or 3 shots for absolutely sure shots. When evading it is best to oscilate ur position perpendicularly to ur general line of retreat. In harassing enemy, fire 2-3 shoots then move sideways, when facing enemy, then fire again=makes u less of an easy target. Do not attack from one sole position, and do not attack like you’re a kamikaze airplane chasing your target. The idea is maneuver, then aim/fire 2-3 shots, then maneuver again as you recharge. Also when you aim, don't look at your ship, look at your target and where your past bullets made their mark, this sentence usually helps a lot of people new to basing.

Close-Combat Tactics:

Close Combat is when you are close enough to spider to have around a 90% hit percentage.

In this type of situation it is best to fire one shot at time, put keep frequency of firing to a high rate. The reason I say only one shot is that I constantly see spids waste bullets because they are trigger happy. Two shots at time is probably best is you are able to stay focused on target. Quickness is the key....but only if every shoot you throw at enemy hits the enemy.

First off you obviously aim by turning right and left. But in combat a thing to keep in mind is how many hits have incured on you and how many times you have hit the enemy. If you are performing badly compared to enemy spider, move backwards as you aim (in effect retreat to conserve energy), if you are doing good move forwards to maximize your hitting ratio. Maneuvering to avoid being hit is useless in this situation, concentrate on aiming.

Tips:
    1) 3-4 shots is more than enough to kill, but in close combat 2 hits will probably suffice considering that enemy spid is wasting his/her energy to shoot at you.
    2)There is a lag associated with combat, in some situations you have been hit by a bullet that doesn't kill you, but in same instant, or just a little afterwards, if you fire another shot your ship might explode because of lag telling your computer that you should be dead. That is why you only fire one or two shoots at time, so that you don't fire any extra shots than are required.
    3)You want to conserve as much energy as possible so that you can continue combat after you kill your first opponent. If you are good in close combat, you should only waste 2/5th of your energy to vanguish your average enemy.
    4)Many spiders attack in kamikaze fashion, therefore it is usually best to avoid enemy shots as you close in to the enemy and allow them to waste energy needlessly in their reckless fighting style. When you are close enough to have a 90% hit percentage, this is when you fire in above fashion. You might want to fire one or two shots while closing in on enemy if it so happens that while maneuvering closer, the enemy is in your sights for a small time window during such maneuvers and you can exploit this.

FlagRoom (FR) Battles:

In flag battles it is best to use common sense and not attack in groups, if 3 spiders are attacking from same place the enemies bullets are sure to make their painful mark. Try to attack from another place, this will force the other team to disperse their fire. So if most of ur team is attacking from the top of actual flag, go under the flag to attack. Use ur judgement whether u should camp at particular place, if u r sure to die if u enter direct combat, or whether u should rush enemy terr and their supporting spiders, when their team is dispersed or close to anniliation or can be pushed back.

Always cover under!, always target sharks as first priority, and unlike most other situations, kill the sharks even when they wasted their reps. Sharks being able to mine in fr (a very small confined place) can do mucho lucho damage to your team.

In all FR battles, work with team, try very hard not to die, advance and push them back steadily but surely, and try to confine enemy to as small quarters as possible. When you have shark protection, that is the time to try to advance, if you don't have shark protection, try to hold your position and keep enemy at bay.

Usually the best place to trap enemy is in one of the two upper bubbles. In such a case fire at enemy of course, and move to absolute top or side of flagroom to recharge. Fire quickly with educated guessing for aiming. Use greens wisely, waste your energy before picking up a few greens in anticipation to maximize the firepower.

In all situations surround enemy if can...much more effective against sharks that can only repel one front of attack.

Defending Tunnel:

The easiest place to stop the other team, b4 cram situation, is the tunnel. So after winning a FR battle, go to tunnel as quickly as possible, especially the sharks. In this situation think it's best to have one spid in mid firing down into tunnel, but once the enemy is able to get to top of tunnel this spider, and one shark should proceed back to cram, while the rest tries to contain enemy in tunnel. Your terr should be in mid-base, and at least 3 spiders should be in lower (ie tunnel) also with supporting sharks, this is best for tunnel defense, the sharks should mine 3 linear mines in tunnel while saving the last mine for 'opportunities' to kill enemy charging or passing through their path. After laying mines, sharks should move back to top of tunnel, let the enemy rep their mines, then go back lower into tunnel to lay more mines in front of enemy. The spiders will just support the sharks in this situation, not vice versa. Hopefully a shrap will kill terr, when that happens, both sharks and lower spiders go to the total bottom of tunnel. Sharks should still mine tunnel, while spiders try to td, and at very least waste enemy reps so that enemy is forced to wait for shark to attach, or is forced to go up side. Whenever enemy goes up a side-tube (always watch radar for this) then most of the team should try to get to side, while one spider should stay in tunnel awaiting enemy terr port. The mines should still be there, and with that spider defending tunnel still, there should be enough time for your team come back to defend tunnel.

When they break through tunnel, always have a shark and 2 spiders in cram. The rest can and should continue to harass the enemy in mid-base. Also tip for spiders in tunnel, when eneny terr approaches you, try to gain speed going upwards, then ONLY once terr is in easy firing range, try to td, your upward momentum should maximize the amount of time the enemy terr is within your sights as the enemy terr is chasing you up in hopes of getting passed you.
    -L3

Long Distance Ambush Attacks:

Long Distance implies when the enemy is off or close to off screen. Be this far away if you are not good at aiming, but if you aim well, go into some sort of medium range where you can hit with more accuracy and deadly firepower, but stay far enough away where you will be able to dodge and retreat from if things get too haywire. This attack style is best when attacking the enemy in mid, from behind, as they are attacking your team's cram. Get to this position by breaking through enemy lines from flag room. Try following a shark out, but once in mid, try to survive long enough, and be deadly enough where they are forced to engage on two fronts.

When initiating an attack use up to around 70% of your energy or 4-5 shots when firing if you are really far away. If you prefer the closer combat situation just fire 2-3 shoots and snipe your enemy off one by one, close in for a terr kill if it is likely your flank will not be attacked any time soon. Fire bullets in two directions to increase likely-hood that they will hit multiple targets, and fire, predominantly, down the middle of the 'enemy cloud' or at the enemy terr. Retreat a little to recharge your energy. After such an attack enemy spids will usually come to attack you, if they don't, repeat ambush attack. If they do decide to attack you after your ambush, fire in bursts of 2-3 shots at incoming spids, conserve energy in between bursts to maintain an energy level of around 50%. You will need this energy for close combat if they reach you, which they probably will. If it is just one enemy try to hold your ground according to rules of engagement for close combat. If 2 or more spids are coming at you always retreat or stand your ground... never advance towards them. Your attacks with bursts of 2-3 shots will hopefully slow or damage them enough to the point where you can take them in close combat even though you do not have full energy.

This attack works well because it forces the enemy to engage on two fronts... your front and the 'cram' front. If another of your team-mates is in mid with you attack from seperate positions. After seeing which spids take the bait try to attack the weaker link. Also try to act as back-up for your team-mate if that team-mate is taking the bulk of the enemy spids. But in all situations always take out the spiders that are presently trying to kill you, and try to take them out quickly so you can help out on other fronts.

Note: If only one spid is attacking you should not retreat forever, it doesn't help your team. Take your chances with that spider duel and be moderately quick. DO retreat though if need be if 2 or more spids are attacking you... that relieves pressure on your team-mates who will be more able to take out enemy.

Tips:
    1) Focus on one enemy at a time when on defense (unless that target retreats so far away that your hit percentage is very low and you have another enemy spid bearing down on you).
    2) In situations where you are certain to die soon, continue to fire on your original target, or another target that for sure has very little energy left. Basically if you are going to die take one of them with you.
    3) If a shark is among those attacking you, conserve all the energy you can, except for sure shots, and wait till one of the enemy spids is basically right next to you. Do not fire on shark until supporting enemy spids are dead and always attack the spid that DOESN'T have the shark protecting them if possible. In this situation you are trying to waste the sharks time, so that the rest of your team doesn’t have to deal with it for awhile. In this situation always retreat, let these enemies waste time so that the rest of your team can have fun killing with ease. At any point when you have close to full energy fire one shot at a time at shark to try to get that shark to waste reps.
    4) When attacking in mid, it is usually very important that at least 2 spiders are inside cram to defend fr as insurance if mid battle fails horribly.

Attacking Cram:

Always aim and dodge when attacking cram, look to see where the enemy is position inside cram, and watch out for where they fire. Attacking cram well mostly just depends on how much you practice at it. The only main strategies is concentrate your attack on cram when you have shark protection, and always try to push upwards without dying. Also look to see if an enemy spider has just moved to side of cram, if it has it probably means that enemy is recharging and would probably die from just one shot, aim for that too. When fire at enemy shark, a 2-shot burst has worked for me well, using each burst to force the shark to rep, sometimes these bursts are able to get past rep and catch shark by surprize and kill it if timed well.

Attacking cram involves 3 stages, clear mid-base, start attacking cram from afar and push towards it, then when right next to cram, wait for your team to amass, then charge, look for openings. When attacking cram, spiders are first priority, unless you see easy access to terr and think you can kill it (or at least force it to warp) kamikaze fashion.

Defending Cram:

Attack with shark protection, aim, and retreat to recharge, pretty easy. Also move to middle of cram if you have full energy and fire then retreat back, if you do this without shark protection, you will probably survive if you just fire 3 shoots. Sometimes moving to middle of cram and kamikaze in blazing style right before enemy charges in, can save cram, especially if you are able to instantly pick up greens as enemies die right on top of you.

That is all strategies were basically like 15 different posts, and I condensed them here. Good luck reading them,
    -L3

Comment

good read. thanks

Comment

Basic Jist: Shoot the bad guys. (lots)
        The only TWO TIME TWLJ All-Star and TWLB All-Star who never played a game.

Originally posted by Richard Creager
        All space detectives come armed with tcp/ip persona blasting pistols, it's required for their line of duty. Silly of both maisoul and goddess to not know this before hand, they get what they deserved, fucking zapped, bitches.

Comment

the defend part could be 239872938562 times longer.
          edit: thanks for posting though, that might be very useful for newer players. The other TW guide someone (rr and ?? maybe?) made a while ago was more of a newbie help and this focuses a little more on the subject.
          5: Da1andonly> !ban epinephrine
          5: RoboHelp> Are you nuts? You can't ban a staff member!
          5: Da1andonly> =((
          5: Epinephrine> !ban da1andonly
          5: RoboHelp> Staffer "da1andonly" has been banned for abuse.
          5: Epinephrine> oh shit

Comment

Originally posted by Nickname
            Basic Jist: Shoot the bad guys. (lots)
            thats what i do :up:

Comment

This is going to improve Sam's game by 200%. :up:
              5:royst> i was junior athlete of the year in my school! then i got a girlfriend
              5:the_paul> calculus is not a girlfriend
              5:royst> i wish it was calculus

1:royst> did you all gangbang my gf or something

1:fermata> why dont you get money fuck bitches instead

Comment

This stuff is all basic and comes with practice. But it's nice that somebody actaully wrote it out.
                There once was a man from Nantucket.

Comment

And this is supposed to make you better?
                  fu

Comment

copied and sold to team china
                    NOSTALGIA IN THE WORST FASHION

internet de la jerome

because the internet | hazardous

Comment

Blue team is the enemy, right?
                      I don't know how to put this but I'm kind of a big deal...

Comment

hmm, can't remember. But only one of em dies anyways so it's not a big deal if you shoot at the wrong guys for a while.
                        5: Da1andonly> !ban epinephrine
                        5: RoboHelp> Are you nuts? You can't ban a staff member!
                        5: Da1andonly> =((
                        5: Epinephrine> !ban da1andonly
                        5: RoboHelp> Staffer "da1andonly" has been banned for abuse.
                        5: Epinephrine> oh shit

Comment

I'm good at killing the yellow guys, so I think you've got to kill the yellow ones, not the blue ones.
                          6:megaman89> im 3 league veteran back off

Originally posted by Dreamwin
                          3 league vet

Comment

thats nice lunchie munchie
                            1:Spikey> Ok ppl. Lets talk about sex.
                            1:Kawrae> i started talking about sex when i was 4 years old.
                            1:Spikey> Ew
                            1:AcumO> lol
                            1:Spikey> pervert.

-Spikey

Comment

Its good that atleast someone takes the time to type these things in.
                              1:Spikey> Ok ppl. Lets talk about sex.
                              1:Kawrae> i started talking about sex when i was 4 years old.
                              1:Spikey> Ew
                              1:AcumO> lol
                              1:Spikey> pervert.

-Spikey

Comment

Working...
                              X