• Show
Clear All

• Heaven On Earth

Heaven On Earth?

"Whatever was the beginning of this world, the end will be
    glorious and paradisiacal, beyond what our imagination can conceive"
    Joesph Priestley
    (1733 - 1804)

Try summoning up the most delightful fantasy you can imagine. Try and imagine, too, feeling more blissfully fulfilled in pursuing whatever you love and value than you've ever felt before.

Unfortunately it's quite futile. We run such simulations on legacy wetware. Even the most virile imagination glimpses only a shadow of the biological nirvana awaiting our descendants. For decoding the human genome allows happiness beyond the bounds of contemporary human experience to be genetically pre-programmed. In a post-Darwinian era of paradise-engineering, life on earth will be inconceivably good.

The Hedonistic Imperative predicts we are poised to explore a spectrum of outrageously beautiful states of consciousness. Potentially, states of consciousness far more sublime than today's fleeting "peak experiences" can become part of the texture of everyday life. The advent of utopian biotechnology permits our genetically enriched descendants to be animated by gradients of immense well-being - in contrast to our animalistic mix of pleasure and pain. In the new reproductive era of "designer babies", gradients of innate bliss can form the bedrock of invincible mental health.

Today, the prospect of paradise-engineering still sounds weird, Brave New Worldish - and perhaps "unnatural". Yet the metabolic pathways underlying heavenly states of consciousness are neither more nor less "natural" than any other patterns of matter and energy elsewhere in space-time. Knowledge of these (hitherto) genetically maladaptive forms of mental life has mostly been impossible to emotional primitives like us. This is because of the pressure of natural selection. Cruelly, any genetic blueprint for naturally "angelic" minds [if evolved blindly via the mechanism of natural selection acting on random genetic variations] entails crossing dips in the evolutionary fitness-landscape. Such jumps are forbidden for reasons of neo-Darwinian theory. So truly beautiful minds never evolved; brutish Darwinian lifeforms were selected instead.

Fortunately, thanks to genetic-engineering, a spectrum of mental superhealth will soon become safely accessible. Better still, primordial-DNA-driven minds are destined to redesign themselves out of existence. An enriched neural architecture will then disclose modes of ecstatic bliss far more intense, diverse and exhilarating than a drug-naïve hunter-gatherer psyche can comprehend. Such magical kinds of happiness are only travestied, alas, by the dry textual placeholders found here. Such happiness is only travestied, too, by today's short-acting euphoriants or wirehead rodents.

For within a few generations, lifelong bliss that exceeds any fantasised Christian afterlife can become the genetically-coded basis of our existence. If we want our kids to enjoy mental superhealth - emotional, intellectual, and ethical - then we can design them a genetic makeup to ensure every moment of every day is a sublime revelation. Gradients of well-being way beyond our own lame "peak experiences" can be their everyday norm of mental health.

On this scenario, Post-Darwinian superminds will go on to rewrite the vertebrate genome, redesign our whole global ecosystem, and abolish suffering and cruelty throughout the living world.

The abolitionist project has an overriding moral urgency. Yet it's just the beginning. The molecular biology of paradise may be closer than we think.

http://www.hedweb.com/heaven/heaven.htm

http://www.hedweb.com/

If that were anyone else's post, I would have read it. But since it had nothing to do with cloakers: blah.
    FREE MANDELA

Comment

Why bother with genetic paradise when chemical paradise is so close? :P
      People who are rather more than six feet tall and nearly as broad across the shoulders often have uneventful journeys. People jump out at them from behind rocks then say things like, "Oh. Sorry. I thought you were someone else."

Comment

Originally posted by Kyace
        because its not even close, even the most profound peak experience today would be a fleeting, crude, and tiny taste

Comment

You actually believe that?
          I don't know how to put this but I'm kind of a big deal...

Comment

[ insert random comment about cloakers here ]
            My father in law was telling me over Thanksgiving about this amazing bartender at some bar he frequented who could shake a martini and fill it to the rim with no leftovers and he thought it was the coolest thing he'd ever seen. I then proceeded to his home bar and made four martinis in one shaker with unfamiliar glassware and a non standard shaker and did the same thing. From that moment forward I knew he had no compunction about my cock ever being in his daughter's mouth.

Comment

if any of those animals are in my heaven, im gonna beat the shit out God
              can we please have a moment for silence for those who died from black on black violence

Comment

I demand more naked girls.
                5: Da1andonly> !ban epinephrine
                5: RoboHelp> Are you nuts? You can't ban a staff member!
                5: Da1andonly> =((
                5: Epinephrine> !ban da1andonly
                5: RoboHelp> Staffer "da1andonly" has been banned for abuse.
                5: Epinephrine> oh shit

Comment

Originally posted by IlyaZ
                  if any of those animals are in my heaven, im gonna beat the shit out God
                  hahahaha Ilyaz
                  I don't know how to put this but I'm kind of a big deal...

Comment

Does that mean if I publish a ridiculous sci-fi essay I too can have a band of infantile followers?

Comment

WEASELS SUCK AND THEY ARE RUINING-- oh.. sorry.
                      Originally posted by Tone
                      It is now time for the energy shift of the 7th root race to manifest on the 3D physical plane and uplift us back to 5D.
                      Originally posted by the_paul
                      Gargle battery acid fuckface
                      Originally posted by Material Girl
                      I tried downloading a soundcard

Comment

Originally posted by Kyace
                        not just chemical ^-^ ...
                        btw Tone is that morally correct?
                        Last edited by Arikel; 04-07-2005, 02:17 PM.
                        A kiss is a rosy dot over the 'i' of loving.

Cyrano de Bergerac

Comment

Tone is jumping onto "Let's all post news stories!" bandwagon.
                          Pandagirl!

(ph)>12 is just right

In the most dangerous game...warping will only prolong your defeat. ?go warpwars -Chao <ER>
                          1:Chao <ER>> what the FUCK?
                          1:Chao <ER>> I just adverted and no one came
                          1:Chao <ER>> at all
                          1:Mantra-Slider> chao
                          1:Mantra-Slider> you are in the wrong arena
                          Panda <ZH>> ?find chao <ER>
                          Chao <ER> - hero

Comment

Originally posted by Arikel
                            well-being is moral urgency.

i hope you enjoy my fun futurist posts, they are fun little reads and not Sci-Fi.

Comment

Originally posted by Arikel
                              Eh, Chemical paradise is whatever you make of it. :grin: I myself am happy with simple and legal caffeine but whatever floats your boat.
                              People who are rather more than six feet tall and nearly as broad across the shoulders often have uneventful journeys. People jump out at them from behind rocks then say things like, "Oh. Sorry. I thought you were someone else."

Comment

Working...
                              X