• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• are you a Cosmist or Terran?

Are you a Cosmist or Terran?

Hugo de Garis
    From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.
    (Redirected from Hugo De Garis)

Hugo de Garis (born 1947, Sydney, Australia) is an associate professor of computer science at Utah State University. He is known for his work on artificial intelligence. His work has attracted many critics, most of whom object to his view of eventual AI dominance over humans.

De Garis's early studies were on theoretical physics, but he abandoned this field of research in favour of artificial life and artificial intelligence. He invented a new field of this science known as evolvable hardware. This involves evolving neural net circuits directly in hardware at hardware speeds to build artificial brains.

The technique, involving development and use of neurons using a 3D cellular automaton, seems to have been used with success to build simple functionalities like the xor function, but, up to now, failed to evolve anything that could be considered as a brain, or even a serious robot control system. His current project is to assemble thousands of these 'brains' into a larger artificial intelligence architecture to make a functioning AI.

He predicts that one day intelligent machines (or 'artilects', as he calls them) will be far more intelligent than humans and threaten to dominate the world, resulting in a conflict between 'cosmists', or supporters of the artilects, and 'terrans', those who oppose the artilects (both of these are terms of his invention). He describes this conflict as the 'gigadeath war'. He has recently authored a book describing his views on this topic titled The Artilect War.
    [edit]

Cosmists and terrans

Cosmism, according to de Garis, is a moral philosophy that favors building or growing artificial intelligence, and ultimately leaving the planet Earth to the Terrans, e.g. Kevin Warwick, Bill Joy, who oppose this path for humanity. In his essay "The Artilect War", De Garis predicts that the factions will war to the death.

De Garis relates that "just out of curiosity, I asked Kevin whether he was a Terran or a Cosmist. He said he was against the idea of artilects being built (i.e., he is Terran). I was surprised, and felt a shiver go up my spine. That moment reminded me of a biography of Lenin that I had read in my 20s in which the Bolsheviks and the Mensheviks first started debating the future government of Russia. What began as an intellectual difference ended up as a Russian civil war after 1917 between the white and the red Russians."

Accordingly, the war might be said to have begun at a debate in Zurich on March 22, 2000. Some technologists, such as Bill Joy, Ray Kurzweil, and Hans Moravec; a few physicists; and mathematicians, such as Roger Penrose, have taken positions in this "war".
    [edit]

Quotes

* Humans should not stand in the way of a higher form of evolution. These machines are godlike. It is human destiny to create them.

— as quoted in New York Times Magazine of August 1, 1999, speaking of the 'artilects' of the future.
    Last edited by Tone; 04-07-2005, 04:04 AM.

shut up you big fucking nerd!!!!!

btw what are they? :P
    Jarlson of> if this game was a girl i would jerk off to it every night

nopcode> sometimes get mates round, have a few beers and play this yes
    oNe-t> YEAH
    nopcode> before going out
    funfunfun> god the fun never stops does it

MageWarrior> I'm so sexy, frog makes me lapdance for him daily

Comment

I was gonna make a starcraft joke, but someone would probably take it seriously and say something stupid.
      DELETED

Comment

omg zergrush~^_^
        can we please have a moment for silence for those who died from black on black violence

Comment

Which is why these things should be made symbiotic to humans, so they can't try and wipe them out.

Plus, the whole "machine experiencing feelings, at least from the human end" factor.
          Zemyla>You know, quoting yourself in your sig is a sign of irredeemable narcissism.

GuruMeditation> You're on SS, you're an it.
          GuruMeditation> Unless your ship grows boobs, in that case you're a freak.

Originally posted by sexy wooden spoon
          Also u cud tlk about helping language skills.

Comment

Hi Tone!
            Well i dont agree with some of the things written in that article... im studying artificial inteligence in my course this semester and it has litle to do with building a brain... either way if we managed to build an AI it would be made in a way so that it would be subservient to the human race. About the said war against "cosmists" and "terrans" well i can only tell you that it would never happen because those wars always happen when new revolutionary discoveries are made... there is always someone questioning the etics of such developments and how that technology can change the world into a worst place, similar to what happened to cloning and gestaminal cells... so i guess you would not have a open war between those factions, what you would have would be a slow introduction of the technology in society... something that is starting to happen is that science and technology are starting to evolve at a faster ritm then society wich might cause some atriction between persons that are against the introduction of said technology and persons in favor. To counter that the introduction of technology in society would be made slower and with previous "preparation" in terms of ethic and moral conduct.
            A kiss is a rosy dot over the 'i' of loving.

Cyrano de Bergerac

Comment

Originally posted by Dameon Angell
              I was gonna make a starcraft joke, but someone would probably take it seriously and say something stupid.
              i was definitely thinking about starcraft when i read the title too.

TAKE THAT SIX LING RUSH BIATCH.
              thread killer

Also who changed to pw to Squadless, how am I supposed to fly the banner of sucking at the game

Comment

Read the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, the parody of this is wonderful.
                5:royst> i was junior athlete of the year in my school! then i got a girlfriend
                5:the_paul> calculus is not a girlfriend
                5:royst> i wish it was calculus

1:royst> did you all gangbang my gf or something

1:fermata> why dont you get money fuck bitches instead

Comment

The fourth law of robotics: Hide the bodies well.
                  People who are rather more than six feet tall and nearly as broad across the shoulders often have uneventful journeys. People jump out at them from behind rocks then say things like, "Oh. Sorry. I thought you were someone else."

Comment

Originally posted by Fit of Rage
                    Read the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, the parody of this is wonderful.
                    been there, done that, got the towel

Comment

What a crock of shit.

Comment

Yeah I'm Terran, mainly because they have nukes.
                        Thrashing> "That'll be 25.99, thank you for buying, please come again"
                        Thrashing> "LET'S FUCK!"
                        Thrashing> Like that, Ott?
                        Catgirl> rofl
                        Missy> o.O im so leaving this chat

Kim> hal, say fit of rage sucks ballz
                        fit of r> here, i'll do it for you
                        fit of r> I SUCK BALLS
                        Kim> loool
                        fit of r> I LOVE BIG HAIRY MAN BALLS

Comment

Originally posted by Rudy
                          What a crock of shit.
                          Nanotechnology is already underway. there are dozens and dozens of companies where 10 years ago it was only all talk. the development of artificial intelligence is already underway. computing speed increases an an exponential rate. the real future is stranger than science fiction. before too long, a computer the size of an apple with have unimaginable more times computing power than the human brain.

----

Coast to Coast AM wednesday recap:

Recap
                          Godlike Machines
                          Artificial brain designer and theoretical physicist Prof. Hugo de Garis raised the issue of whether humanity should build godlike intelligent machines. Because of technological advances, he foresees a time in this century when artificial intelligence can be developed at the atomic level, and an object the size of an apple could surpass human brain capacity to the trillionth power.

At this point, he believes humanity will break into two groups. The Cosmists, who want to build these massively intelligent machines, and the Terrans who are against it. A third, smaller faction, he labeled as the Cyborgists, who want to merge with the artificial intelligence. Prof. de Garis believes the conflict between the Cosmists and the Terrans will be so extreme that wars could be fought over the issue.

The machines he called "artilects," may become so massively intelligent, said de Garis, that they would regard humanity, in the same way we look at insects, and they could be so powerful as to create their own universes. He boiled it down to the question: Do we build gods or do we build our potential exterminators? In an on-the-spot Fast Blast poll that was conducted, 56% sided with the Terrans, and 44% with the Cosmists.
                          Related Articles
                          Hugo & the Brain Machine

Seen in the photo (click for larger) is Prof. Hugo de Garis and the CBM (CAM Brain Machine), which was used to build artificial brains (1997-2001). "It evolved neural net circuits at electronic speeds. These were stored in the memory of the CBM one by one, and then connected together according to the designs of human BAs (brain architects) to build artificial brains. The CBM was then used to run the neural signaling of the artificial brain in real time to control the behaviors of robots, etc," de Garis explained.
                          Last edited by Tone; 04-08-2005, 01:29 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by kites
                            Yeah I'm Terran, mainly because they have nukes.
                            Siege tanks seems far more powerfull to me
                            Plutarch: "To find a fault is easy; to do better may be difficult."

Comment

Computer speed does not increase at an exponential rate, it increases at something like 2x processing speed every 16 months or so, and right now they're running into serious issues because there's only so close you can put the transistors (iirc) before they start interfering with each other and screwing everything up.
                              - k2

Comment

Working...
                              X